Travel Insurance - Gap Year

Need Gap Year Travel Insurance?

Travel Insurance - Gap Year

Gap Year Travel Insurance is critical cover required by those intending to travel on a long stay basis and possibly visit a number of countries during their trip.  It is imperative that you deal with a specialist insurance broker who will take the time to ensure that your Gap Year travel insurance covers you for all eventualities.  Taking these precautions doesn’t make the cover more expensive – it just means you can travel with complete peace of mind knowing that your Gap Year travel insurance is a perfect fit for your trip. 

At Insure Guide we are completely impartial and we will quickly put you in touch with a specialist Gap Year travel insurance broker in the who will meet your unique requirements.  ­We are a supportive service for ‘difficult to find’ and specialist insurance. 

Click Here to complete our short web form or call us on 03308 803608.

A specialist insurance broker will discuss your trip with you and then find you the best cover available for you at the best cost available.   This takes all the worry away from you as a professional is doing all the leg work for you.   Leaving you free to look forward to your trip.

There are many ‘quick fix’ Gap Year travel insurance policies which you can buy over the internet but these are usually standard low-grade policies which will not cover you for a surprising number of eventualities.  For example, personal money and possessions are often an additional cover.  Imagine having your money and traveller’s cheques stolen and then finding out you’re not insured! Many people setting out on these adventures will want to try different activities whilst they are travelling i.e. scuba diving, bungee jumping, golf, paragliding, extreme sports or winter sports like skiing, snowboarding or tobogganing.   These activities are not often covered in a standard Gap Year travel insurance policy and will require an ‘add on’ to ensure you are covered in the event of a claim.  Although Gap Year travel insurance in the is normally associated with long stay trips it can also provide cover for short term trips. 

You may intend to work whilst you are away to help fund your trip.  Again, working abroad insurance cover is not often automatically included in your policy.  You will need to discuss the type of work you intend to do with your specialist insurance broker as different types of work require different cover elements.  Not many Gap Year travel insurance policies in the UK will cover you for manual labour or working with tools of any kind.  This can often be a problem as many Gap Years intend to work as fruit pickers to earn extra money.

Click Here to complete our short web form or call us on 03308 803608.

Your broker will ask you where you intend to travel which is normally broken down into 4 categories as follows:

  • Europe

  • Australia & New Zealand

  • Worldwide (excluding US & Canada)

  • Worldwide (including US & Canada)

Gap Year travel insurance in the UK can also be known as:

  • Long stay travel insurance

  • Gap Year insurance

  • Student cover

  • Extended stay insurance

  • Volunteer insurance

  • Working abroad insurance

Typically, your broker will be able to provide Gap Year travel insurance in the UK if you are aged between 18 and 65 with no problem.  More often than not people who require Gap Year travel insurance are generally younger but long trips are also enjoyed by the older adventurer. 

Your broker will consider both where you are travelling to and where you will be staying.  If you are staying in remote areas or in hostels then clearly you are more likely to encounter theft.  If you are alone and on a budget then you are at a greater risk.  Make sure you carry a minimal amount of cash and traveller’s cheques with you as in many cases there will be a limit on personal money and possessions within your policy.  If you are visiting remote areas you will also need search & rescue cover which isn’t always automatically included within the Gap Year travel insurance policy.  However, your broker will inform you of your exact cover and any limits to your policy.

If you are considering visiting any hostile countries then please check with your insurance broker and the foreign office prior to leaving as otherwise you may find that you have no insurance cover at all.

Gap Year travel insurance policies in the UK are normally available for up to 18 months of travel although this can often be extended to two years.  You may change your plans whilst you are travelling and decide to stay on longer.  In which case, you need to inform you specialist insurance broker so that they can arrange cover for your longer stay.

Gap Year travel insurance is an alternative to single trip cover and includes additional ‘add ons’ that can be incorporated to meet your exact requirements.

The very minimum you would expect from a Gap Year travel insurance policy is:

  • Emergency medical cover – 24-hour assistance in the event of a medical emergency

  • Rescue and Repatriation – to include helicopter rescue

  • Personal Liability – covers you if you inadvertently cause harm or injury to others

  • Holiday Cancellation – covers you if you need to cut your trip short

  • Baggage and personal possessions – to include administrative costs should your passport be stolen

  • Personal Money – be aware of any limit in place

  • Travel Delay – cover if you trip is delayed for any reason

You will now be aware that Gap Year travel insurance is a special cover that requires a specialist insurance broker.  It is imperative that you are covered adequately for every aspect of your trip at the right cost and only a specialist broker can provide adequate Gap Year travel insurance.

Click Here to complete our short web form or call us on 03308 803608.